Last Updated on
PET/CT scan is a painless, noninvasive test that produces detailed images of your body. A PET/CT scan costs usually between $1,600-$14,000.
PET scan cost by insurance type:
|Insurance type||Clinic PET/scan price||Hospital PET/CT scan price|
|High-deductible patient||$2,400 – $5,000||$4,100 – $14,000|
|Insured patient (25% copay)||$600 – $1,250||$1,025 – $3,500|
|Cash patient||$1,600 – $2,500||$2,000 – $4,000|
Looking to save money? Get a quote for an PET/CT scan with our partner service.
When may you need a PET/CT scan?
Positron emission tomography-computed tomography also known as PET–CT or PET/CT is a nuclear medicine technique which combines a positron emission tomography (PET) scanner and a CT (computed tomography) scanner to take collective images to create a functional view of the body.
It can help diagnose conditions such as:
- detect cancer. & whether it has spread in the body
- determine blood flow to the heart muscle
- determine the effects of a heart attack, or myocardial infarction, on areas of the heart
- identify areas of the heart muscle that would benefit from a procedure such as angioplasty or coronary artery bypass surgery (in combination with a myocardial perfusion scan)
- evaluate brain abnormalities, such as tumors, memory disorders, seizures, and other central nervous system disorders.
- map the normal human brain and heart function.
PET scan risks.
Having PET and PET-CT scans can add to your stress as a cancer survivor. These tests often find health problems that are not serious. This may lead to more tests and procedures, including follow-up scans, and even biopsies and surgery.
Also, PET, and especially PET-CT scans do expose you to high levels of radiation. The effects of radiation add up over your lifetime. This can increase your risk of cancer.
How to save money on a PET/CT scan cost?
- Take your doctor referral to the facility that offers you the best price for a PET/CT scan
- Shop around across 4-10 facilities to find the best deal for you, focus also on free-standing imaging facilities
- Pay in cash to save 40-80% of the cost (HSA counts)
- Consider doing this PET/CT in the large metro area (Los Angeles, Chicago, Miami) that have more competitive rates